Fairmont State University and the Fairmont State Foundation have teamed up for the inaugural Falcon Day of Giving November 7 – one day to raise $250,000 to support scholarships, academic units, and athletics.
Donors from throughout the region have provided more than $100,000 in matches and challenges to encourage people to give online or through the lunch-time drive-through at the Fairmont State Foundation.
The giving day will kick off at midnight on Nov. 7 and end at 11:59 p.m. All gifts that are made in that time period will be counted toward the Falcon Day of Giving goal of $250,000.
To heat up the competition, matches and challenges will encourage givers to log on to falconsgive.fsufoundation.org. They will also provide academic and athletic programs a chance to double or triple their giving on that day.
“By logging on to the website now, you can create a strategy for ensuring that your favorite program or sport gets as many matches and challenges as possible to increase the amount of money they will receive on November 7,” Fairmont State Foundation President Julie R. Cryser said. “But you won’t be able to capture these opportunities without logging on that day and giving or stopping by our lunch-time drive-through.”
Global matches are available for both academics and athletics, as well as a lunch-time challenge that will offer $1,000 to the academic unit with the most donations between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Matches and challenges include:
- The Mike Ross Family Foundation General Scholarship Match, which will match scholarship gifts dollar for dollar up to a total of $10,000.
- The Dr. Mirta M. Martin Students for Scholarships Challenge, which will unlock a $1,000 gift for scholarships if 40 students donate on Nov. 7.
- The Huntington Bank Athletic Scholarship Match, which will match donations to athletic scholarships dollar for dollar up to $10,000.
- The Fighting Falcon Athletic Match, an anonymous gift to match any gifts made to any athletic program up to $7,500.
- The Tom and Lori Kliethermes Global Academic Matching Gift, which will match any funds given to any academic program dollar for dollar up to $10,000.
- The Dr. Mirta M. Martin Marching Band Challenge will provide a dollar for dollar match up to $1,000 donated to the marching band for new instruments.
- An anonymous Overall Academic Match will provide dollar for dollar matching funds to any academic unit or program up to $12,500.
- The William and Lois Muto Laughlin Academic Matches will provide $2,000 for each academic unit for a total gift of $10,000 to match gifts made to the units.
- The Gary K. and Barbara J. Bennett School of Business match will provide a dollar for dollar contribution of up to $5,000 to the school.
- Nick Oliveto has provided a $2,000 match for the National Security & Intelligence program.
- The Mike Ross Family Foundation will match Athletic Scholarship gifts dollar for dollar up to $10,000.
- The Dr. Mirta M. & John Martin Baseball Matching Gift will provide a $500 matching gift.
- The Lady Falcons Basketball Matching Gift, through an anonymous donor, will provide $2,500 in dollar for dollar matches.
- The Michael Adams and Kristen Correnti Faett Football Matching Gift will unlock $10,000 if the football program receives $10,000 in gifts.
- The Wrestling Program Matching Gift, made anonymously, will unlock $2,500 in dollar for dollar matches.
- The Foundation President’s Lunch Time Rush Challenge will provide $1,000 to the academic unit that has the greatest number of donations between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- The Fairmont State Foundation Board Chairman’s Challenge will provide up to $5,000 if it is matched by Fairmont State Foundation board members.
- The Westside Market Instagram Challenge will unlock $7,500 if 30 people provide Instagram posts from the market on the Day of Giving.
For those who would like a quick lunch and to swipe their credit card to donate, donors can drive through in the front of the 1300 Locust Ave. Fairmont State Alumni Center building between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Those who choose to give at the alumni center will receive a Country Club Bakery pepperoni roll, donated by the local bakery, and a bag of chips. Participants can also get a picture with Freddie the Falcon, who will be on hand.
“We want to make this a fun, memorable day with a purpose -- One Day, One Goal, One Falcon Family – to raise $250,000 in one day and show the region that we are Falcon Strong,” Cryser said. “We would encourage you to make a donation and help us unlock all of our matches and challenges.”
Donors can go to falconsgive.fsufoundation.org to make their donation. You can also help spread the word on social media platforms by becoming a social media ambassador. To sign up as a social media ambassador visit www.fsufoundation.org/news/2019/ambassador.