COVID-19 Residence Hall Plan


For answers to other questions, please contact Housing and Residence Life at 304-367-4216 or

Communication and Updates

(We will continue to add updates as we have them.)

November 3, 2021

Quarantine Process Change Notice

September 13, 2021

Housing COVID Communication


Is Housing Open and accepting applications for Fall 2021?

Yes, currently it is expected that campus, including the residence halls, will be open in Fall 2021.  In an effort to maintain health and safety, the following procedures will remain in place: 

  • Requiring that masks be worn at all times when you are not in your assigned residence hall room, even if you are just running to the bathroom. 
  • Occupancy restrictions in locations within the residence halls where students can gather, including community kitchens. 
  • Limiting visitation from people who don’t live in your assigned residence hall. We are also strongly discouraging students from visiting others within their assigned residence halls. 
Are the residence halls at full capacity for Fall 2021?

Not yet but rooms are being reserved. If you are interested in living on campus, you are encouraged to apply via the Housing Application link on myFairmontstate as soon as possible so that you can be placed in your preferred room type.

Will there be assistance when I am moving in my belongings?

No; move-in will be an independent process. There will be a limited number of carts and buggies available but feel free to bring your own for use.

Can I have more than 1 guest to assist me?

Yes; You are permitted to bring two guests with you to help move in your belongings. If additional people come to campus, they will be required to remain in their cars and will not be permitted to enter the residence halls for any reason, including use of on-campus restrooms.

Any advice on what to bring or not to bring?

If you visit our Guide to Success, you’ll be able to find a list of suggested items to bring and items prohibited in the residence halls. The list can be found in the Residence Hall Guide in the student resources section. We highly encourage students to limit what they bring with them for the fall semester due to the no move-in volunteers and the two-hour move-in timeslots. Please take the time to consider if you need extra furniture. Additionally, items such as winter clothes and such can always be brought later in the semester once you determine when they are needed.

How do I sign up for a Move-In Registration time?

The registration will be done through LibCal. Using the link below to access the move-in calendar, you will be able to pick ONE time slot for move-in. Please do not pick multiple time slots, as multiple entries will be deleted. The move-in schedule will be as follows:

August 1 - University Terrace Residents;

August 2 - 5: First-time Freshman, Nursing and Education majors; and

August 6-7: Upperclassmen

Please keep this schedule in mind when signing up for a move-in time slot and be sure to pick a slot on the appropriate day.

We look forward to seeing all of you!

When can I sign up for a Move-In Registration time? 

Registration will open Monday, June 21, 2021. Sign-ups will close Sunday, July 25, 2021. We suggest registering as soon as possible to ensure you get the time slot that is most convenient for you.

Can I change my Move-In Registration time once I sign up?

Yes. Once you have signed up for a time slot you will receive a confirmation email. That email will contain a link that will allow you to cancel your time slot if necessary. Once you have canceled, you will be able to sign up for a new slot.

Do my roommate and I need to have the same Move-In Registration time?

No. If you would like to coordinate with your roommate to move-in at the same time, you are more than welcome to do so; however, it is not a requirement.

COVID-19 Testing

Am I required to be tested for COVID-19 while I live in Housing?

No, you will not be required to be tested for COVID-19 while you live in housing. However, if you begin feeling ill and are experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 we strongly encourage you to obtain a COVID-19 test.

How long does it take to be tested for COVID-19?

The actual COVID-19 test takes less than 3-5 minutes to complete.

How long will it take to get my COVID-19 results?

3-5 business days

Do I need to pay for the COVID-19 test at move-in?

Upon arrival, students must show either verification of a COVID-19 vaccine or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours prior to move-in. If a student does not have either of these items they will be given a rapid COVID-19 test onsite. The charge for the test will be $20.00, for which the student will be responsible.

Do you have Quarantine Spaces on campus?

Yes. Fairmont State has set aside Pence Hall for use as quarantine spaces on campus for students who are symptomatic or considered as a primary exposure. Housing also has limited spaces on campus for students who test positive and are unable to vacate campus during their quarantine period. 

What happens if I start showing symptoms for COVID-19 while I live on campus?

Students who reside on campus should complete the Illness Reporting Form or contact Student Health to schedule a screening appointment at 304-367-4155.  Students are (also) encouraged to report to their primary care physician or family healthcare provider that they are experiencing symptoms. Student Health Services will conduct an initial health screen remotely and assist in determining the next steps for the student. Students who are active or showing symptoms should report immediately.

Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in Fairmont, WV?

Marion County Health Department, Mon Valley Associates Health Centers, and Med Express in Bridgeport, WV are doing testing.

What happens if I test positive while I live on campus?

If you have received a positive test result from any source while you live on campus, you are required to report that result immediately to and complete the Illness Reporting Form. Students who live on campus and test positive will be required to quarantine either on campus or at an off-campus (permanent) location.

What happens if my roommate test positive?

Make sure your roommate has reported their test result to and completed the Illness Reporting Form.

Once the roommate has reported his/her test results a Contact Tracer will be in touch with you and ask you a series of questions.  If you have not been vaccinated you will be encouraged to self-isolate for a period of time on or off-campus, minimizing exposure to others.

When can I return to campus and what do I need to do after I’ve tested positive for COVID-19?

After having a positive COVID-19 test, students will be asked to quarantine based on guidelines set by state and local health officials, and University policy. Students will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test before returning to school or work.  Medical documentation should be sent to prior to your re-arrival on campus.  Students are not permitted to return to campus unless documentation is provided.

What are my options if I test positive for COVID-19 and I’m not comfortable going home?

Students should contact Residence Life at 304-367-4216 or if they need housing accommodations on or off campus. The Office of Residence Life will work with students on accommodations.

Is there a guidebook that addresses COVID-19 in the residence halls?

Yes; please see the attached guide.  Within this guide, we explain the process and expectations for our housing students and the COVID-19 pandemic.

Building Operations

Have you reduced occupancy in the residence halls?

The Residence Halls will operate on a traditional configuration in all halls. We know how important it is for you to have a roommate and how many of you are looking forward to that “true college experience.” If you have a specific need, we encourage you to reach out to the Residence Life Office at 304-367-4216 so we can assist you.

Are masks required in the residence halls? 

All unvaccinated students will be required to wear masks outside of their assigned residence hall room. 

Is Visitation permitted in the residence halls? 

Students will be permitted to have one outside guest or visitor (anyone who does not live within your residence hall) visit the residence hall. Residents may visit the rooms of other residents but should always wear a mask unless all students visiting have a COVID-19 vaccine. Continue to check your email for more details on the Fall 2021-Spring 2022 visitation policy. 

Will there be RAs?

Yes; RAs will continue to be assigned to each floor within the residence halls and will continue to support you.

Will there be programming in the residence halls?

Programming will still take place in all halls. Your RAs are excited to see you virtually and otherwise!

What do I do if my roommate is acting in a way that I think might be putting me at risk or is unsafe?

We all have a responsibility to make smart decisions to keep our campus community safe. If you feel your roommate is acting in ways that might be unsafe or putting you at risk, please start by talking with your roommate. Express your concerns and discuss why campus safety measures put in place are important. If, after this conversation, you are still experiencing concerns, please speak with your Resident Assistant or Residence Director. After completing all of these steps, if you are still unable to resolve the situation, please contact the Main Housing Office at 304-367-4216 and a member of our management team will assist you. Students may also e-mail our Student Conduct Office at or call the Student Conduct Office at 304-367-4277.

Will common areas such as kitchens, study lounges, and computer labs be open in my residence hall?

Common spaces, lounge areas, and community kitchens will be open for student use or congregation. At this time, if you are unvaccinated, you will be required to wear a mask within the residence halls if you are outside of your assigned room. 

Can I still use the laundry room?

Laundry rooms will continue to operate as they have in the past. Unvaccinated students are expected to wear masks when in laundry rooms. Additionally, students are asked to wipe down the doors and controls on the machines before and after use.

Can I leave campus on the weekends?

As the semester continues, the University is reminding all students that they are strongly discouraged from any non-essential travel. For consistency across campus, any student, faculty, or staff member who travels outside of West Virginia or to a high-risk location anywhere in the US, including West Virginia, may be required to quarantine or produce a negative COVID-19 test upon your return, unless exempted by state policies.

Do the air filters have a high MERV rating (can filter bacteria/virus)?

We use standard MERV 8 filters.

Will there be additional cleaning in the residence halls?

All halls will have additional cleaning of high-touch areas on a daily basis. There will be more cleaning in the restrooms of the traditional-style residence halls (Morrow, Pence, and Prichard Halls). If you are assigned to Bryant Place or University Terrace, we continue to encourage you to bring cleaning supplies and work out a cleaning schedule with your roommates.

Where can I find more information about policies, the WiFi, etc?

The Residence Life Guide to Success!

Other Questions

Is there Financial Assistance Available for Housing?

We encourage you to reach out to the Financial Aid Office about your specific financial situation. The Financial Aid Office can be reached at (304) 367-4141.

Is there still a requirement for students to live on campus for their first four-consecutive semesters?

Yes, the residency requirement has not changed.

Can I eat with my friends in the Dining Hall?

Yes; unvaccinated students must wear a mask until they are seated to eat.

When is the Falcon Center Open?

Click here for a PNG version of the Falcon Center schedule. 

Click here to view the schedule online. 

When is the Bookstore Open?

Click here for a PDF version of the Bookstore schedule.

What if I’m struggling with my mood/motivation/or other emotional issues. Where do I go?

Fairmont State offers free mental health services to enrolled students. In-person and telehealth appointments are available. Visit the Counseling Services website or call 304-333-3661 for more information and to schedule an appointment

How can I make an appointment at Student Health?

For health and safety purposes, appointments are preferred. However, walk-ins are welcome and will be seen on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please contact Student Health at 304-367-4155 or to make an appointment. 

What are the hours of Student Health for this semester?

Student Health hours can also be found on their webpage.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Appointments are preferred. Walk-ins will be seen on a first-come, first-serve basis. A clinic administrator will be available to schedule appointments starting at 8 a.m. daily.

Can I take all online classes?

Fairmont State is a face-to-face University that will have a hybrid of in-person and virtual instruction for Fall 2021. We encourage students to work with their respective Faculty or Advisor on any specific needs or requests they may have.

I have questions about on-campus quarantine, such as how will I receive my meals?

Please see the Quarantine & Isolation on Campus frequently asked questions below.

Quarantine & Isolation on Campus

How do I upload my COVID-19 vaccine record into the Student Health Portal?

For instructions on uploading your COVID-19 vaccination information please visit the Student Health Services page.

Am I required to upload my COVID-19 vaccine?

No. There is no requirement that you upload your vaccination information.

Am I required to be COVID-19 vaccinated to live in on-campus housing?

The vaccine is highly recommended and encouraged for all students to receive, but it is not a requirement.

Why is it important to get vaccinated?

Vaccination will prevent you from having serious side effects from the virus. Getting vaccinated also has the benefits of protecting those you come in contact with. There is no way to determine if someone with the virus is going to have life-threatening side effects from it.

Where can I get vaccinated and how much does it cost?

Contact the Student Health Center at (304) 367-4155 or a local pharmacy in your area to determine if they have vaccinations available. There is currently no cost for the vaccine.

I am experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone with an active case of COVID19, where can I obtain a COVID-19 test?

Students who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or who have been exposed to an active case of COVID-19 should contact their primary physician or the Student Health Center to get tested. The Student Health Center can be contacted at (304) 367-4155.

Am I allowed to leave my room while in quarantine in Pence Hall?

Quarantine keeps someone who was primarily exposed to COVID-19 or experiencing COVID19 symptoms, away from others. Students may take a 3 hour outside break within the yard/perimeter of Pence Hall once per day Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Students are required to check out with the Department of Public Safety at the window in the Pence Hall lobby prior to leaving for the 3 hour outside break and must check back in when the break is over. Students who exit quarantine without notification will be subject to Student Conduct sanctions.

Am I allowed to leave my room while in isolation?

Isolation keeps someone who is sick or tested positive for COVID-19 without symptoms away from others. Students who are isolating in Morrow Hall are permitted to leave their assigned room; however, they may not leave their floor or the building. As students are knowingly positive with COVID-19, limiting movement reduces the likelihood of further community spread.

Am I able to go home to quarantine or isolate?

Yes. Students can travel home to be with family to isolate or quarantine if desired. Students should follow CDC guidance for travel if they plan to complete quarantine or isolation at home.

Will I have a roommate in quarantine or isolation housing?

Students who are quarantining in Pence Hall will not have a roommate (though your room may be set up as a double). As people with active cases of COVID-19 are permitted to be around other active cases, there is a possibility that students who are isolating in Morrow Hall will have a roommate.

Am I allowed to have visitors in quarantine or isolation?

No. Being in quarantine or isolation means that you may have a higher risk for having been exposed to the disease. No visitors will be allowed.

 How will I get my personal items?

You will be able to pack up necessary items from your room before moving to quarantine or isolation. You will be provided a suggested packing list and additional guidance on moving to your quarantine or isolation location.

What items are already provided in your quarantine or isolation space?
  • Toilet paper (for isolation spaces)
  • Trash bag
  • Standard residence hall room furniture (bed, desk, desk chair, wardrobe/closet, etc.)
  • A micro-fridge or kitchenette
  • Towels and a washcloth
  • Basic bedding
What do I do if I run out of a personal item or supply that I need while in university-supplied quarantine and isolation housing?

You are permitted to have necessary items, such as prescriptions, delivered to the residence hall where you are in quarantine or isolation. Please contact a member of our Housing COVID team immediately for assistance. You may reach Residence Life at

How do I get food and drinks?

Dining Services will deliver meals daily to your quarantine facility. A member of the Residence Life Team or Department of Public Safety will deliver the food to your room. It is important to notify the member of the Housing COVID Team of any specific dietary needs. Food deliveries through services such as DoorDash or Uber Eats are NOT permitted.

How do I dispose of my Trash?

Please use the garbage bags provided to empty your trash daily. Students may take their trash bag and place in the hallway outside of their respective room. Students in isolation should place the tied-up bag outside their door once a week prior to noon. Our Custodial Service Team will collect your trash for disposal, so you do not have to leave your room.

What guidance is provided to those in quarantine or isolation?

The CDC recommends the following for those in quarantine to monitor your health and practice physical distancing:

  1. Stay home for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19
  2. Take your temperature with a thermometer two times a day and monitor for fever (temperature above 100.4). Also watch for cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.
  3. If possible, stay away from others, especially people who are at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.

For vaccinated individuals, you should still watch out for symptoms of COVID-19, especially if you’ve been around someone who is sick. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.

Any person who has a condition or is taking medications that weaken the immune system should continue to take all precautions recommended for unvaccinated people until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.

Who can I talk to about the financial impacts of quarantine or isolation?

Student Accounts can assist you with any concerns regarding potential impacts. They can be reached at 304-367- 4141. If you need Financial Aid assistance you can contact the office at 304-367-4141.

Am I allowed to have my assistance or service animal with me?

Assistance or service animals that have been pre-approved to live on campus are allowed to move with you during your isolation or quarantine. Please let housing ( and Accessibility Services (303-333-3661) know of your assistance or service animal and refer to the guidelines e-mailed to you regarding the care and feeding of your assistance or service animal.

How do I request an ADA accommodation for my housing needs?

If you require accommodations, please work with Accessibility Services by calling 304-333-3661 or emailing For more information visit the Accessibility Services page.

Who should I call if I need medical attention, or I start to have symptoms?

Call your primary care physician or Student Health Services at 304-367-4155, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. If you are experiencing severe COVID-19 symptoms or experiencing a medical emergency, call 911. Please let them know that you have been exposed to or have tested positive for COVID-19.

What if there’s a fire and I need to evacuate?

If you hear the fire alarm system sound, please evacuate the building immediately, wear a mask properly and be sure to maintain appropriate physical distancing in the emergency assembly point noted on the evacuation plans. The Residence Life staff may ask you to follow specific measures to reenter the residence hall to minimize exposure to others.

How do I report a maintenance or housekeeping issue?

If you have a maintenance or housekeeping concern please call 304-367-4216 or contact the RA Duty phone. Please share with the person that you are in quarantine or isolation.

Will you enter my room for cleaning or to clean my restroom?

Though maintenance and housekeeping can enter your space to address critical work orders, you will be responsible for the cleaning of your own living space, including the restroom.

What mental health resources are available to me while I’m in quarantine or isolation?

Counseling services are available via remote services. Interested in meeting with a counselor? Please email our Counseling Team at, call 304-333-3661, or request an appointment on the Counseling Services page.

When am I done with my quarantine or isolation?

Student Health Services will work with the Marion County Health Department and public health officials to follow guidelines as it relates to quarantine and isolation. Generally, the quarantine period lasts 14 days and the isolation period lasts 10 days; however, there are now quarantine options that students may be able to decide from: 14 days, 10 days if no symptoms are present, or 7 days if you obtain a negative PCR test. The Student Health Center will assist you in deciding which is the best option for you and provide you with a clearance date. Once you have been cleared by the Student Health Center you will be permitted to resume in-person activities.

Where do I go when I’m done with quarantine or isolation?

You can return to your permanent campus assignment once you’ve been notified by Student Health Center that you have been cleared from quarantine and isolation.

Once I have finished my quarantine or isolation, what do I need to do?

Representatives from the Office of Housing and Residence Life will contact you regarding your move-out process. Please pack up all personal belongings and remove trash from your room. You will be provided additional instructions on room key and key card return as well.

I’m concerned about my privacy, who will know I’m in quarantine and isolation?

Student information is protected by FERPA and considered confidential. However, during a public health emergency, information may be shared with university employees, public health agencies, or other personnel to ensure your academic success.

Does a negative test mean I can leave quarantine sooner?

Not necessarily. Please contact Student Health to discuss any questions you have regarding the length of quarantine.

If I need accommodations while I’m in quarantine or isolation, what should I do?

Students should contact the Student Accessibility Center at 304-333-3661 or Virtual classes and dining will be set up for you from the Office of Student Affairs.

What happens to my mail? What if I need a package?

Students’ mail will be held in their mailbox within their respective residence hall. Packages, that are critical to your stay in quarantine or isolation can be delivered to the Pence Hall Main Desk (by a friend), in limited circumstances.

Where is isolation and quarantine housing located?

The university has designated specific assignments for quarantine and isolation housing. Students who need to quarantine will be placed on the 2nd or 3rd floor Pence Hall. Students who have tested positive and require isolation will be placed in Morrow Hall. Students will be given their assignments when contacted regarding the need to quarantine or isolate.

As with prior Fairmont State publications, these materials are meant to be consistent with guidance published by the federal, state, and local governments and the associated health agencies. This document is reflective of the relevant scientific and medical information available at the time of publication. These materials are not and should not be used as a substitute for medical or legal advice. Rather, they are intended as a resource for use in coordination with applicable government and related institutional policies and guidelines, and they remain subject to further revision as available data and information in this space continue to emerge and evolve.

NOTE: The lists are not exhaustive.  Further, the above link(s) are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. They do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Fairmont State University, and Fairmont State bears no responsibility for the accuracy, effectiveness or legal status of the content of these external sites or for that of subsequent links. Please contact the individual site owners for answers to questions regarding content.